Singleness is neither a disease that needs to be cured, nor is it a carpe diem season of life. From the proper perspective, singleness is very strategic in God’s economy — whether for a season or for a lifetime.
Here are 10 ways you can make the most of your single years:
1. Know that Christian singles are a gift to God’s church.
2. Be content in the season of life God has placed you.
3. Know that the ultimate goal of life is devotion to the Lord — not marriage, career, or fill-in-the-blank.
4. Grow your affections for Jesus Christ through spiritual disciplines.
5. Sacrificially give of your time and resources.
6. Commit to and serve in a local church.
7. Attach yourself to spiritual mentors.
8. Invest your life into younger believers and make disciples.
9. Grow in deep bonds with same-gendered believers who can encourage you in your faith.
10. Take part in mission opportunities domestically and abroad.
Chris James is single and content in Christ. He is campus minister at UMASS Lowell and coordinator of collegiate ministries for Greater Boston. He graduated from the University of Southern Mississippi (B.A.) and Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (M.Div). He loves to read, write, run, and watch Atlanta Braves baseball. Keep up with Chris via Twitter.