The term “spiritual gifts” has become synonymous with the specific ways Christians are equipped to do God’s work, including everything from preaching to being naturally hospitable. When it comes to our spiritual giftedness, the Holy Spirit is the one doing the bestowing, and we should consider ourselves blessed to be the recipients. But it’s a sad fact that many of us acknowledge that the Holy Spirit gifts individual Christians, but we in reality have no idea how He’s gifted us or how to employ the gifts we know we have.
Here are a few things Scripture tells us about spiritual gifts:
- Each believer is given at least one gift (1 Corinthians 12:7).
- The Holy Spirit determines who receives which gifts (1 Corinthians 12:11).
- Each gift is equally valuable (1 Corinthians 12:21-26).
- We are to use our gifts to serve others for the benefit of the body (Romans 12:6-8; Ephesians 4:12).
- We are commanded to use our gifts (1 Peter 4:10).
- Exercising our gifts will help us develop spiritual maturity (Ephesians 4:13).
Curious how the Spirit has gifted you? Download our “Spiritual Gifts Survey” and “Gifts Explanation List.” Once you’ve identified your spiritual gifts, meet with a staff member at your church to find out ways you can put your gifts into action.