It’s Christmastime! We all know it’s better to give than to receive. These 10 gift ideas will help you show your appreciation to your family without leaving you broke.
1. The Perfect Date – Give the family your quality time with a date to a coffee shop, a museum, or a day of shameless (and free) touring in your hometown.
2. Family Tradition – Whether you annually don matching sweaters or watch Christmas movie marathons, change it up with a new tradition. Pitch in a few dollars to help a needy family or donate to a charity such as World Vision that provides clean water and resources to needy families. (worldvision.org)
3. Procraftinate – Need a break from the mall? Try your hand at a DIY gift. Search Pinterest for DIY burlap placemats, family silhouettes, or coasters for a few simple starters.
4. Quoteable – Print someone’s favorite movie quote or Scripture passage onto fabric, and frame it for a quick, inexpensive gift idea.
5. Paint With Words – Not the crafting type? Write your brother a cheesy limerick, or gift your mom a sappy sonnet. It won’t be Shakespeare, but it will be meaningful.
6. Frameworthy – Create a photo book of your family’s Christmases together. Or, make a reusable picture frame by replacing the frame backing with a piece of sheet metal from your local hardware store to create a simple magnetic way to display your face.
7. Bottle It Up – Put together a few items and display them in a glass jar for easy gift success. (Ideas: hot chocolate mix, a mini-spa kit, or fishing gear) See mixesinajar.com for more ideas.
8. On Canvas – Find cheap canvases at your local craft store, or recycle an old one, and paint something new for your family members. It’s at least a step up from paint-by-numbers.
9. Confectionately Yours – Food is always a fail-proof (and cheap) gift idea. If you can’t bake, there’s no shame in store-bought cookie dough.
10. Art of the Trade – Got creative friends? Swap talents or go in together to purchase the supplies needed for some of the above ideas. You can divide and conquer for great family gifts.